Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Face OFF

Maybe if I had used the thing earlier I could have prevented this. But once again, I think the neti pot has let me down with its false promises. I have been writing little poems in my head about how much I hate the neti pot.

I have been sick since last Monday. At this point, my chest congestion is better and even my sinuses seem more clear (ah, the irony). Physically I feel like the cold is on its way out.

But starting last Saturday I started having bad sinus pain, especially around my upper jaw. I don't think the neti pot reaches that far.

Since Saturday, I have tried every home remedy for sinus infections, and I think discovered a new one (clarisonic). This is the 4th morning I have been awakened around 3 am by the sinus pain. It is the weirdest thing, it is not getting better. Extra strength Tylenol helps very very little.

My OB was going to give me a scrip for a Z-pak, but due to my drug allergies we weren't positive if that was safe. I can't remember for sure if I've taken a Z-pak before. She said to see my PCM.

I thought I would wait another day or two and see if it got better. I thought it was improving, but this morning is making me believe It is not getting better. After another 3 am hot tea and neti fest, I can't go back to sleep. I am laying here in the guest room, waiting for the hour to be decent enough/hubby to wake so I can take a hot shower in the master bathroom.

I am pretty afraid to take an antibiotic right now. The OB said I could take sudafed, but I don't want to take that either, it won't help if this is bacterial.

Every time I've had a sinus infection in the past, I've had to get antibiotics. They would not go away otherwise. I thought this time I could make it heal itself, but that is looking unlikely. Even the Mayo Clinic book says most antibiotics are safe to take, I just wish I was further along.

The thing is, it sounds so minor and whiney to say your face hurts. Even maxo-facial pain or whatever the term is, or a tooth ache? NBD right? Evidently not for me. This is making me question how I'll hold up to labor pain. Maybe my pain tolerance is whimpy.

All that aside, hopefully I can get in to see the doc today and she can write me a scrip for something safe. My doc is pregnant, I hope she is still there, her due date is soon. There's something reassuring about a pregnant doctor Rxing you something, since she has the same concerns. Until then, this guy about sums it up. ;)

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you in sinus hell. Mine got better for two nights but is now back with a vengeance. Ick.

    ReplyDelete