Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Water child

Recently I read about a Japanese practice for memorializing miscarried (and aborted) babies. They also have a term for these lost little ones: mizuko. It translates roughly to "water child," which is related to the Japanese view of how we are comprised of elements. The rite of mizuko kuyo is practiced in shrines and gardens where the bereaved make offerings to Jizo, an enlightened being that will protect and encourage their spirits to move on. I guess to some Westerners it can be creepy, or wanky, especially considering our culture hardly acknowledges miscarriage. But I think this Japanese social custom is something uniquely valuable, and it shows that women all over the world feel a link to those first glimmers of life.

This is a very well-written article by an American who was writing a piece on the mizuko kuyo ceremony, and then found herself in need of closure after experiencing a second miscarriage. Even if you haven't had a mc, I think it would be a good read if you are interested in other cultures. It is a little long but again, well done.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/21/magazine/mourning-my-miscarriage.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Our friend D is in the hospital now. She really wanted to stay in her home, but at this point she's not really all there to insist on that anymore. I'm so sad about the whole thing.

Just a little more pink and brown spotting this evening.  I know it can be normal, and doesn't automatically signify, but I'm still scared.  At least I went most of the day without anything.  My parents are babying me and making sure I take it easy.  DH will be here Saturday.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Dar, I had no idea you were at the hospital. For some reason your blog doesn't automatically appear in my feed. I have everything crossed for you and hope that the spotting is nothing and that you are worried about it for no reason. <3 I hope everything goes back to normal for you and that little "jeeling" is happy and snug as a bug.
    All my t&p's are with you, my dear.

    PS. I thought of you on my cruise. I saw some lipton tea that was "darjeeling". I had no idea it was an actual tea. I was so stoked, I actually took a picture of it. Now how lame am I? =P

    ReplyDelete